Braces vs. Invisalign? Pros and Cons
Studies show that a staggering 65% of teenagers and adults suffer from some form of tooth misalignment, yet many shudder at the thought of wearing braces. From school bullies to corporate colleagues to your own self-esteem, there are many elements that might inspire you to consider the alternative option of Invisalign invisible braces.
“Braces vs. Invisalign” has been a prominent dilemma for individual young and old since the inception of Invisalign in 1997. Throughout the last 20 years, it has propelled orthodontics to new heights with its innovative ability to straighten teeth without anyone knowing. All eyes are drawn to your smile, not your braces! However, Invisalign is “not one-size-fits-all” and you ultimately do not want to have to straighten your teeth twice. If you are debating on whether to straighten your teeth with traditional braces or use the new techniques of Invisalign invisible braces, find out the pros and cons of Invisalign outlined below.
Why Are Celebrities Turning to Invisalign?
You might often forget that celebrities are humans just like you, and they experience the same dental problems as the general population. With the introduction of Invisalign, celebrities and “average” individuals alike can achieve perfect smiles without the bulky, unsightly metal braces. The comfort of wearing Invisalign aligners and the benefit of snacking control not only allows you to smile on demand but also helps you maintain a great full-body appearance.
Dr. Glassman is an NYC’s Invisalign Elite Provider and top-rated celebrity dentist. He has worked with countless actors, singers, models and famous film and movie executives on crafting beautiful, award-winning smiles with substantial improvement to both form and function. With Invisalign, being in the spotlight in front of millions of people will never be a problem!
Invisalign is the “clear” winner over traditional braces
If deemed appropriate for correcting your smile, Invisalign grants you the power to live your life to the fullest. Although the removal of aligners for every meal may be deemed a hassle, you will be pleasantly surprised to discover the added benefit of weight loss, as you are discouraged from snacking throughout the day. Furthermore, brushing after every meal means improved dental health and a brighter smile during treatment.
Pros and Cons of Invisalign Invisible Braces
The numerous advantages that Invisalign has over traditional braces include:
- The aligners are 100% removable for meals, brushing, and flossing.
- Food does not become caught in the aligners, thereby preventing embarrassment and tooth decay.
- The aligners are made of translucent plastic and hence are virtually invisible.
- The aligners can be easily rinsed with lukewarm water.
- You are able to eat anything you wish, including hard or sticky foods, as well as maintain a proper diet.
- Treatment must be ongoing for 22 to 24 hours per day, with total time ranging from a mere 9 to 15 months.
- Follow-up visits to the dentist are required only once every 4 to 6 weeks.
- There are no wires to irritate the cheeks and gums or cause mouth sores.
- With the BPA-free composition of the aligners, your mouth is safe from harmful toxins.
Unfortunately, there are also a few cons to the Invisalign treatment, including:
- Treatment success depends entirely on the patient, as not wearing the aligners will inhibit progress.
- It may not be effective when significant tooth movement is required, the primary source of the concern is the back teeth, or when bridgework is present.
- The cost of treatment can reach an excess of $5,000, depending on your individual situation.
- There may be some discomfort or pain from the aligner-induced tooth movement.
- Aligners may become misplaced, leading to additional costs for replacement.
Glassman Dental Care
160 West End Ave, #1R,
New York, NY 10023
Request an Appointment with your Manhattan New York Dental Implant Dentists Dr. Steven Glassman and Dr. Debra Glassman today!
Glassman Dental Care
160 WEST END AVE, #1R
NEW YORK, NY 10023
Mon:10 am – 7 pm
Tues:10 am – 7 pm
Wed:8:30 am – 5:30 pm
Thurs:8:30 am – 5:30 pm
Fri:9 am – 5 pm
Our 5-star rated New York City dentists offer the latest dentistry available in Manhattan. We create and help maintain beautiful smiles for teens, adults, and seniors in and around Upper West Side New York, Manhattan, New York City, and New York County, NY.
Dr. Steven Glassman is one of Invisalign's Top Providers, Dr Debra Glassman provides dental care to New Yorks top celebrities, Dr Benjamin Jacobs is one of New Yorks top Oral Surgeons. Together with other associated dentists, they offer the most advanced dental services including teeth cleaning, dental implants, dental crowns, teeth whitening, veneers, Invisalign and more. Call 212-787-4860 today for your today for your appointment with our New York City Dentists.